When it comes to holiday treats I often struggle with what to make because it needs to be 1. Delicious 2. Somewhat healthy 3. Stay good in baggies. So these protein muddy buddies I’ve made a few times because they check all of the boxes for me!
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal can use any Chex-style cereal of choice
- 1/2 cup almond or cashew butter
- 1/2 cup Lily’s baking chips
- 1 cup Swerve powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
You can do different flavors of Lily’s chocolate or try the white chocolate.
Can add extracts like peppermint and do chocolate protein powder for a minty combo.
Can really use any nut butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your Chex cereal and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, add your nut butter with chocolate chips and heat until melted. Whisk together, until combined and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate/nut butter mixture over the dry cereal mix. Mix well, until all the cereal is coated in the chocolate/nut butter mixture.
- Transfer the mixture onto a flat tray or surface and spread out in a single layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until it has cooled slightly.
- Remove from the fridge and place back in the mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and protein powder and mix very well, until all the cereal is covered in the sugar/protein powder.
- Place back on the flat tray and let sit for 30-40 minutes, or until the powdered sugar has settled, before transferring to a sealable container or ziplock bag.
Recipe adapted from The Big Man’s World